The Primary Program at The Discovery School promotes learning and leadership in your child through social interaction, self-awareness, and a deeper understanding of the world around them.
Whenever possible, our Primary program is intended to be experienced in a 3-year cycle. The Primary program includes the Kindergarten year, during which students among the three Primary classes spend time as a group, away from the younger Primary students, experiencing programs established just for them.
The multi-age classroom allows for an everyday setting where younger students are able to learn from their experienced peers. This arrangement benefits the older children by providing them with a leadership opportunity; the younger children benefit by having daily positive role models which extend beyond the teachers.
The classroom is equipped with materials for a variety of academic levels at this age range, regardless of the child's "grade level". The students are able and encouraged to concentrate on their own progress.
Specific goals for the 3 to 6 year old Primary program are as follows:
- To provide an environment that allows each child to develop at his/her own pace and to his/her fullest potential.
- To encourage care of oneself and the environment.
- To aid the continued development of respect for others and the materials.
- To foster a love of learning, creativity, logical thinking and skills for life.
- To aid the growth of the child into a complete social, emotional, and intellectual being.
- To build continuity between home and school through parent education and parent-teacher conferences.