The Primary Program at The Discovery School promotes learning and leadership in your child through social interaction, self-awareness, and a deeper understanding of the world around them.
Whenever possible, our Primary program is intended to be experienced in a 3-year cycle. The Primary program includes the Kindergarten year, during which students among the three Primary classes spend time as a group, away from the younger Primary students, experiencing programs established just for them.
The multi-age classroom allows for an everyday setting where younger students are able to learn from their experienced peers. This arrangement benefits the older children by providing them with a leadership opportunity; the younger children benefit by having daily positive role models which extend beyond the teachers.
The classroom is equipped with materials for a variety of academic levels at this age range, regardless of the child's "grade level." The students are able and encouraged to concentrate on their own progress.
Montessori Lesson Videos
Specific goals for the 3 to 6 year old Primary program are as follows:
- To provide an environment that allows each child to develop at his/her own pace and to his/her fullest potential.
- To encourage care of oneself and the environment.
- To aid the continued development of respect for others and the materials.
- To foster a love of learning, creativity, logical thinking and skills for life.
- To aid the growth of the child into a complete social, emotional, and intellectual being.
- To build continuity between home and school through parent education and parent-teacher conferences.